Art exam inspiration

8:44 pm


My sister and I have been drawing and painting for as long as I can remember. My mum used to spoil us with craft kits and oil pastels - she even let us run riot on the walls!

After a disappointing experience with GCSE Art (and an equally disappointing grade) I was adamant I was never picking up another paint brush again! But down to the relentless nagging of a best friend - and the hardness of A Level Psychology - a few weeks before Christmas I switched to art. I managed to catch up, with spending every free period plus hours after school every night in the art block, and how was my dedication rewarded?

With some RUBBISH exam titles! The AS Level Art & Design exam choices this year were a joke - 'Rocks, pebbles and stones' was probably the most ridiculous option! So, I went for 'Curves', as it was the most versatile titles.

I wanted to share my principle photography from my exam sketchbook, as my photos are my favourite part of my project so far.



My strength in art has always been the human form. I wish I could be one of those people that could paint gorgeous landscapes to enormous scales, but I'm just no good at it!

I decided to apply the title of 'Curves' by focusing on the natural, organic curves within the human figure - specifically the face.

I initially experimented with the obvious definition within the face, using white paint to emphasise the brows, jawline and cheekbones.


Though overall, I preferred this design. I liked how it created an almost "face within a face" sort of look. I'm really happy with the minimalistic effect of the simple white lines against my model's skin. I personally prefer simple art to more in-your-face designs. 

These photos are definitely the highlights of the photography section, I hope you like them! (All taken with an iPhone 5s.)


Sarah x



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe